Hatha yoga is the branch of yoga based on ancient wisdom, which concentrates on physical health and mental well-being. It is taught in a relaxed atmosphere, allowing the participant to embark on a journey of discovery into their body and soul. It is a meditation, in which competition is discouraged and an attitude of acceptance is cultivated, as each body is unique, having its own strengths and limitations, day to day, moment to moment.
Our teaching philosophy is composed of the following main three elements:
- Less is more
- Small increments
According to the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, an asana (Yoga posture) is a “steady and comfortable” posture i.e. you should be able to hold it for an extended period of time without an effort. Yet our competitive mind and restless ego push us to do more than we should. A "perfect" asana for one person may be completely wrong for another. As you persist in the practice your body will naturally open up and your posture may change. Copying someone else’s posture of a “picture-perfect” asana, does more harm than good on multiple levels. Allow change to happen rather than force it.
The other three elements we subscribe to during practice include breathing, elongation and relaxation. Practice two and the third will happen by its own.
- We recommend not eating at least 1-2 hours prior to class.
- Please wear comfortable clothing. Please avoid wearing belts and jewelry for class. Shorts are recommended so your knees are visible.
- Mats are available for use at the studio free of charge, or feel free to bring your own mat
- We start classes promptly. If you are a few minutes late, you can still come in, but please observe silence
- Women during pregnancy should not attend any of our physical practices aside from relaxation, breathing and light stretching exercises. Please advise the instructor as soon as you know you are pregnant
- Women during menstrual period should not practice any of the inverted postures (e.g. head-stand, shoulder-stand, plough and their variations)
- After the class do not attend any physical activity (e.g. running, bicycle-riding, etc.) for at least one hour
- Before every class please inform the instructor of any changes to your health such as pain, physical discomfort or new temporary or chronic illness
- Participation of adolescents under the age of 18 is conditional and requires parent approval
- We try to accommodate everyone that comes however space is limited. Unless you inform us in advance of your arrival to class, space fills up on first come first serve basis
(*) Class schedule may change. If it’s your first time coming or you have not been to class in a while please call/ email to confirm.