Tai Chi & Qigong
Tai Chi is an internal Chinese martial art, practiced for the added benefits of improving health and longevity. Qigong is a general term used to describe various exercises of physical and mental training for health, martial arts, and self-enlightenment.
Tai Chi is the ability to relax into the opposing force; the capacity to truly listen.
Learning Tai Chi is not a means to an end, but rather an everlasting process of self-study.
The more you practice surrender, the more subtle resistance surfaces you still need to let go.
Real mastery of Tai Chi is not in the studio or in a fistfight confrontation, it is in the way one handles life.
No previous experience is required. Classes include practice of the basic fundamental moves, Yang form (short), Qigong, meditative and breathing techniques, as well as the philosophy behind the practice (Dao and I-Ching).
- We recommend not eating at least 1-2 hours prior to class
- Please wear comfortable clothing. Please avoid wearing belts and jewelry for class
- We start classes promptly. If you are a few minutes late, you can still come in, but please observe silence
- Practice shoes are recommended but not necessary. No need to buy online expensive “Tai Chi Shoes”. These can be purchased on the cheap anywhere in Chinatown. If not sure, ask at the studio
- Women during pregnancy should not attend any of our physical practices aside from relaxation, breathing and light stretching exercises. Please advise the instructor as soon as you know you are pregnant
- After the class do not attend any physical activity (e.g. running, bicycle-riding, etc.) for at least one hour
- Before every class please inform the instructor of any changes to your health such as pain, physical discomfort or new temporary or chronic illness
- Participation of adolescents under the age of 18 is conditional and requires parent approval
- We try to accommodate everyone that comes however space is limited. Unless you inform us in advance of your arrival to class, space fills up on first come first serve basis
(*) Class schedule may change. If it’s your first time coming or you have not been to class in a while please call/ email to confirm.